The Dayton Daily News actually has Esrati.com scooped- only because Whaley handed it to them on a platter, but the reasoning behind this announcement is the real news:
Democrat Nan Whaley said she will not run for re-election to a third term as Dayton mayor this year, which raises the possibility that she’ll seek statewide office or run for Congress.
“It’s been a great eight years and I feel like we’ve accomplished a lot, but it’s time for someone else to take my place,” said Whaley in an exclusive interview with the Dayton Daily News.
She declined to say what her next move will be.
No, she’s not running against Portman, or DeWine, or Turner, she’s announcing now so the Monarchy of Montgomery County can make sure they don’t lose their iron grip on the City Commission- and the labor vote that it controls.
She’s not going to get a job in the Biden administration either. This is what happens when you have worn out your usefulness to the FBI as a confidential informant, struck a plea deal with the FBI and are just waiting for the indictment. The Feds didn’t stop Joey Williams from running and winning, but, once he’d signed his plea deal, and began working as a confidential informant, he eventually had to resign from office- lying about how his new bank job was too demanding. His deal allowed the charges to be delayed long enough so his youngest kid could finish at Stivers.
The other truth is people don’t win 3rd terms as Mayor- Mike Turner didn’t, Rhine McLin didn’t and Whaley wouldn’t have.
Reality, the Dems have to find someone that can beat Gary Leitzell for Mayor, and their best chances are either Matt Joseph running from a “protected seat”- in that he would only give up his commission seat if he wins, or Jeff Mims Jr. running- leaving an open seat which is the more likely scenario.
Wildcards for Mayor: two school board members have outsize egos, only one is a potential winner over Leitzell. Mohamed Al-Hamdani thinks he’s a player, but, his highest aspiration should be Mim’s empty seat, which he would lose- and then he’d also be off the school board if somehow he makes it past the primary. If he runs for Mayor he’s losing both seats. Jocelyn Rhynard could run for either Mim’s seat or for Mayor- and would have decent odds, unless the schools further implode (she votes to continue Lolli’s contract would be her last vote).
Prospective Candidates for Dayton City Commission and Mayor 2021 (last updated 11 Jan 2021)
Right now the Dayton field of candidates that I know about consists of:
- Mayor- Gary Leitzell, petitions turned in 12/3/2020- why they aren’t certified yet is criminal.
- City Commission- Jordan Wortham petitions turned in 12/3/2020- not yet certified as well.
Others: (and again- until you’ve turned in 500 approved signatures and properly filled out petitions- you are just a poser).
Jeff Mims Jr. Has picked up petitions “for commission” – as of 10/15/2020 he has not turned them in yet.
- Jeffrey J Mims Jr picked up petitions 1-6-21 for Mayor.
- Keiana Davis 355 St Clair St picked up petitions 1-7-2021
- Nan picked hers up 10/20/2020- but is now withdrawing. Note- you don’t need to pick them up to run- Leitzell didn’t pick them up- but, he turned them in.
- Shenise Turner Sloss is making her third run.
- Jared Grandy is making his first run. He resigned from his job of “community-police relations” with the city in early June.
- Valerie Duncan is running again- making this her third time.
- Darryl Fairchild is the incumbent. He could be a wild card in the Mayors race, but more than likely will run for City Commission again. If he opts to run for Mayor in a 3 way race with Mims and Leitzell, things could get ugly. There is also the option that he may do a Mary Wiseman and stop after one term, having seen the ugly underbelly of the Commission and city of Dayton politics and he just rides off into the sunset.
- Tony Schultz has a website up, www.tonyfordayton.com and claims to be running for Mayor. Leitzell might even be helping him get on the ballot- but, left to his own devices it’s unlikely that he will turn in valid petitions. With Nan out- he’s just a sideshow.
- Mohamed Al-Hamdani – his ego knows no bounds. However, the former mutual admiration society affair between him and Nan is rumored to have ended.
- Jocelyn Rhynard- always holds her cards close to her chest- and sends out mixed messages. Hard to say what her next move will be.
- Scott Sliver is running again after taking two cycles and a special election off. He came close in his first run in 2015.
- Donald Domenick has also pulled petitions for commission 1-8-20121. He’s never managed to properly fill them out and turn them in. Of all the “community leaders” I’ve met- he’s the most like Trump- a total reality distortion field is in effect every time he speaks.
Petitions are due on
Feb 3, Mar 5 2021 – notarized, and signed by the candidate, by that date. The primary, if more than 2 run for Mayor and more than 4 run for the two open commission seats (Mims and Fairchild) is May 4, 2021.
My goal was to switch to a ranked choice vote for these races, eliminating the separate race for Mayor and the primary altogether, but it won’t be able to be in effect until 2023 at the earliest. Getting 500 signatures during Covid makes this an even more difficult primary deadline than most.
The real question is if and when the Federal Bureau of Incompetence will choose to drop the other shoe in the “culture of corruption” investigation. Long overdue, the reality is, Williams was one vote of three that are needed to enter into a contract. He didn’t even really take that much money in the grand scheme of a Mat Heck Million dollar bonus system. I believe Williams is banned from running for office for at least 5 years (I’d have to look it up- and don’t have time now) or he’d probably win as Mayor- sad to say- or would easily win his seat back.
If the FBI actually starts handing out indictments again- the bigger question is do they go past the City and hit the County Monarchy as well? If so, Debbie Lieberman, Judy Dodge, Mat Heck, Karl Keith and Russ Joseph could all find themselves out of work along with Nan, Mims, City Manager Shelly Dickstein, some folks at Citywide Development, the Downtown Dayton Partnership and even the Dayton Development Coalition. But, that would assume the FBI could actually do their jobs.
As an aside: Thank you citizens of Georgia for choosing the two democratic senators. It is still my belief that any member of Congress who tries to vote against accepting the Electoral College vote today, should be removed from office and tried for treason. The penalty for treason is death by firing squad. Of course, we never prosecute rich white folks- so I doubt it will happen. You need to be poor, black, unarmed to be judged, declared guilty in seconds before being shot in this country- everyone else, takes 20 years minimum.
11:05am 6 Jan 2021 Less than 20 minutes after this was published- word came to me that Mims picked up petitions to run for Mayor.